How to Clean Your Makeup Brushes
Last week I wrote about what can happen if you don’t clean your brushes (if you missed it you can see it here).
This week it’s time to learn how to get them squeaky clean in a few simple steps.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
Soap (I use Sunlight soap, cheap as chips and can be found in the laundry section of your local supermarket)
Mug or brush holder
Some sun – just the free stuff that comes from the sky
IMPORTANT: Ensure through the whole cleaning process that you don’t let water go into the ferrule – that’s the section between the handle and the bristles. Allowing water to enter the ferrule will make the bristles come loose and shorten the life of your brushes.
1. Set up at your sink. Brushes one side of the sink, towel laid out on the other.
2. Grab your brush and wet the bristles with water.
3. Gently swirl the brush in a circular motion into the soap.
4. Using the same technique, swirl the brush on the palm of your hand until the brush appears visually clear of any colour.
5. Rinse off the brush under water. If the water isn’t running clear then you need to repeat steps 3 and 4 again as many times as needed.
6. Once the brush is clean lay it on a towel to allow some time for it to dry a little.
7. Once you are comfortable the brush doesn’t have enough water in the bristles to drip down into the ferrule, place it into a cup, mug or brush holder with the handle down and place in the sun to complete the drying process.
And presto – clean brushes!
It really is a simple process and will help keep you from catching any nasties that can build up in the bristles over time and of course, make for a better application.
Do this once a week at the minimum to ensure your brushes last as long as possible – you’ll get a good couple of years out of them! And let’s face it, those things don’t always come cheap.
Enjoy this blog? Sign up here to get these direct to your inbox in our monthly newsletter!